Location: Malawi, Africa
Background: Ancient Path is a non-profit arts and compassion organization founded in 1998 to incite compassion, ignite hope and inspire action. For nearly two decades, we have used the arts to communicate the gospel of Jesus Christ and to lift the heads of the oppressed and marginalized here in the US and in Africa, Asia and Europe.
But we are not only an arts organization. In Kaliyeka Township, Malawi, Africa, we estimate that over 450 people come to Ancient Path weekly to participate in various programs – adult education, arts training, vocational training, academic tutoring, Ancient Path Academy (a pre-school and primary school), High School Scholarships, Ancient Path Kids (a feeding and basic care program for 200 children), and Ancient Path Community, our discipleship program that reaches the entire community and beyond.
In addition, Ancient Path has an arts training and discipleship program at Dzaleka Refugee Camp, 45 minutes away from Kaliyeka. The team there is currently preparing to perform The Story of Love in this camp of 30,000 people and in Malawian villages outside of the camp. Translated into Swahili and Chichewa and adapted to their cultures, these young people will tell the story of God’s unfailing love, from creation to redemption, through music, dance, drumming and drama.
At Ancient Path, we aim to follow the way of Jesus, to be His hands and feet as we carry his hope and beauty into a hurting world.
Ministry highlights from 2016:
- Supplemented 200 households involved in our AP programs with large bags of maize during a time of hunger
- Saw the APC discipleship students grow spiritually, through weekly teaching and monthly all-night prayer sessions
- Started Friday afternoon Ancient Path Community outreach meetings open to the entire township.
- Sponsored several new high school scholarship students
- Created a textbook library and tutoring program for primary and high school students
- Registered 88 students in adult literacy classes who attend 5 days a week
- Celebrated our first pre-school graduation ceremony with 18 students
- Began partnership with Dzaleka Christian Churches Union and started an arts training and discipleship program at Dzaleka Refugee Camp
- Performed our evangelistic arts presentation, The Story of Love at four different venues, including Sanjiko Village and Dzaleka Refugee Camp and saw many come to Christ.
2017-2018 Ministry Goals:
- Continue to evaluate and strengthen current programs
- Aim to build strong relationships on the leadership team, the staff and in the Kaliyeka community
- Explore possibility of starting a secondary school for our high school scholarship students in order to raise the standards and ensure their success
- Create structure for consistent discipleship of older teens in the arts training program
- Create discipleship training materials for The School of the Ancient Path
- Present the Story of Love at Dzaleka Refugee Camp and surrounding villages
- Begin construction of Ancient Path Learning Center in Kaliyeka township
- Continue to strengthen Ancient Path’s organizational infrastructure here in the USA
Specific Prayer Requests:
- Unity, peace, trust, love and open communication amongst the leadership team, staff and volunteers
- Ever-increasing spiritual hunger and growth in all team members and the people we serve
- Spiritual breakthroughs for 45 kids in arts program and discipleship structure to help them grow
- Spiritual breakthroughs for 200 kids in our children’s program and discipleship structure to help them grow
- Spiritual breakthroughs for 88 adults in adult literacy program and discipleship structure to help them grow
- Protection and provision for all of our children
- For the young people in our Dzaleka Refugee Camp program, please pray for healing from trauma and the pain of hopelessness and for them to come to know Jesus in a deeper way
- Pray for the muslim children and adults in all of our programs and their families
- The Story of Love performances – please pray that many more would come to know and accept Jesus through this evangelistic presentation and that the young performers would be transformed by the story they will tell.
We are so grateful for our long-standing relationship with the many faithful friends in Crosslake and specifically at the Log Church. Thank you for giving your very best to Malawi in Fred and Cindy Cressman, and for your generous and faithful support of the work of Ancient Path. Thank you for standing with us in prayer and we hope many of you will come to Malawi to give His love away in person. Mulungu akudalitseni! God bless you